Frequently Asked Questions

General & Registration Related Questions

When are the courses offered?

Please check out our course schedule.

How can I find out if there are any seats available in the course I want?

Please check out our course schedule. The number of seats available for any offering are provided here as well.

How much does the course cost?

If there are sections of the course available, the cost will be listed on the Short Course Details page under the Course Section list, along with the start and end dates, the number of sessions, the number of hours and the location.

How long is the course?

Please check out our course schedule.

Can I book a course over the phone?

Yes. Please contact the main office at (709) 834-2076 for all your booking requirements. The OSSC accepts VISA and Mastercard payments over the phone for course registrations. 

Note: $150 of course fees represents the non-refundable/non-transferable confirmation fee.

What is covered in the course? What is the course outline?

Please see our course information page.

What courses are required for a certain position?

The company offering the position must inform you of the required courses. Course requirements are established by regulatory authorities or standard setting authorities such as Transport Canada or the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

When I send in the application, am I automatically registered in the course?

No. Payment must be received in full before you are registered into the course. If you are applying for AES sponsorship, please advise the OSSC and a Letter of Offer will be forwarded to you containing the course cost along with the dates of upcoming availability for the training you are looking for.

Why do courses cost so much?

Courses offered by the OSSC are generally practical in nature and require access to specialized facilities and equipment. Furthermore, for risk management reasons instructor student ratios must be small.

All courses offered at the OSSC are delivered on a cost recovery basis only.

Course Acceditation Questions

Who provides accreditation for courses at the OSSC?

  • A1 Courses for the offshore Petroleum Industry are developed to meet the requirements of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) in consultation with the Canada Newfoundland & Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board (CNLOPB). The Marine Institute (OSSC) is recognized by CAPP as a training provider for courses it delivers
  • A2 Courses for the Marine Industry are developed to respond to Canadian or International marine standards and approved and accredited by Transport Canada
  • A3 Courses for Firefighting Industry are generally developed to meet National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards and accredited by International Fire Training Standards Authority (IFTSA) and monitored through the Fire Commissioners Office
  • A4 Other courses may be accredited by other standard setting bodies such as ENFORM or academically accredited through Memorial University

Are my Marine Emergency Duties (MED) courses accepted for working in the Offshore Petroleum Industry?

Safety, Survival and emergency response courses designed for the marine industry are governed by Transport Canada Requirements, courses for the Eastern Canada Offshore Petroleum Industry are governed by requirements of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) and approved by the petroleum boards. At present there are limited reciprocal agreements in place between these organizations so courses designed to meet standards of one jurisdiction are not accepted by the other jurisdiction.

There are some exceptions however:

  • The Petroleum Boards accept Transport Canada certificates MED B1 Survival Craft Coxswain and MED B2 Fire Fighting as meeting the requirements of Offshore Petroleum Installation Lifeboat Coxswain and Offshore Fire team respectively for limited duration (max 3yr) only. Persons requiring these qualifications to work for extended periods in Eastern Canada Offshore should obtain the appropriate Offshore Petroleum Industry qualification.

Will my BST course be accepted in jurisdictions outside of Canada?

At present although the CAPP BST course is generally accepted as being equal or superior to survival courses delivered in other jurisdictions, there is no blanket agreement in place which allows acceptance of this course in other jurisdictions. For instance Oil & Gas UK does not accept the BST on a blanket approval basis but will accept it on a case by case basis on application from the Operator.

Canada is more open in this regard and does accept United Kingdom or Norwegian Qualifications subject to some restrictions. It should be noted that most jurisdictions now require emergency breathing systems (EBS) training, this training is now delivered at the OSSC and is referred to as HUEBA.

Medical Clearance

Do I require a medical for my training?

Most courses offered by the OSSC require student to have a valid Transport Canada Seafarers Medical or Offshore (CAPP) medical. You will be notified in your acceptance letter if you require a medical.

Why do I require a medical?

Most courses delivered through the OSSC require medical clearance. Clearance is required for those courses which require participation in practical exercises.

Exercises are designed to simulate as close as practical, conditions which would exist under real emergency situations and for this reason can be stressful both physically and mentally. The training institution is under a legal “duty of care” to ensure that all reasonable measures are taken to avoid injury to our trainees.

It is essential for this reason that participants in training course are confirmed as meeting an adequate standard of fitness.

What medical clearance is accepted?

  • A1 The OSSC accepts a vaild Transport Canada Seafarers Medical